Monday, July 16, 2012

Time to get Organized!


Planning in Limbo
That is the only way to describe my teacher status at the moment!  Sadly, due to low kindergarten enrollment, we still don’t know if I’m going to stay in Kinderland this year, or work my way up to first grade.   While I am up for either, I’m having a hard time getting the up the gumption to plan for both!


Never the less, attending I Teach K and meeting so many wonderful and passionate teachers has motivated me to get my rear end into back to school gear!
As a result of our growing school population (all but the little guys for the time being!) it looks as though the school will need to split the room I have occupied the past two years in half for special programs, which has me moving into a standard classroom.


Standing in my new room this morning I was struck with two questions:


One: Could I possibly be a hoarder?  Good grief, look at that clutter!


Two: How will I make it all fit in a room this small?


Now, I know some people will look and this before picture and the size of my new room and snort “Small… You call that small sister?  Let me show you small.”  Yes, I am very spoiled.  I have been for five years.  The room I lived in the past two years was meant to be two rooms.  The three years before that I had a large room at an older school.  


Consider these a “before” shot.  I know that sharing them will motivate me to include an “after”!


Taking both of my questions into consideration, I decided that the best course of action for the moment would be to get organized!  While my class set up may vary slightly depending upon what I end up teaching, I figured that at the very least I should get started on finding a place and identifying what I have in a clear and concise fashion.


While I had many of my supplies and materials labeled in my previous classroom, I found that the words alone meant very little to my incoming five year olds.  In an effort to make my room a truly child centered environment, I have decided to include picture on each on my labels.  A possible side effect: more environmental print, how can that be a bad thing?!


I like the peel and stick type Avery labels.  Check out my free class label down load while it is still free.  If you can think of things I should add, please tell me!  They are most certainly a work in progress, that's why they are free!
Click here for easy print labels




Check back to see my progress!  I’m open to comments!